What kinds of artwork and maps can I use in my DMs Guild titles?
Note: The artwork (such as illustrations or maps) that you include in your title does not become part of the DMs Guild content that other DMs Guild contributors can then use.
These are types of artwork you can use in your DMs Guild titles:
- Art and Maps Provided by Wizards of the Coast. The "Resources for DMG Creators" category contains several art packs that are owned by Wizards and that can be freely used in your DMs Guild titles. The artwork can be cropped to fit your PDF but may not be altered or changed in other ways. NO OTHER ARTWORK from Wizards of the Coast titles can be used. Some of the many available art packs include:
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Adventurers Art
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Beast Art
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Locations Art
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Creatures Art
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Creatures Art 2
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Creatures Art 3
- DMs Guild Creator Resource - Creatures Art 4
- Public Domain Art. Art that you are certain is in the public domain can be used.
- Stock Art. Usage of stock art depends on the license associated with that stock art. Most of the stock art sold under the "Publisher Resources" category on DriveThruRPG includes a license that would allow it to be used in your DMs Guild titles.
- Commissioned Art. Usage of art that you commission from an artist depends upon your terms with the artist. You must have the rights or license to use the art in your title. The artwork does not become owned by OneBookShelf or by Wizards; you simply must have rights to use it in your commercial work.
- Creative Commons. This depends on the type of Creative Commons license. Some allow commercial use, others do not.
Can I duplicate/redraw existing D&D maps from any edition?
Can I publish and sell map packs of my own unique locations?
Can I publish and sell stock art? What about stock art that uses D&D intellectual property, such as symbols or monsters (e.g. beholders)?
What are the rules for putting branding (logos, trademarks, etc.) on my DMsGuild title?
Content creators can create their own branding, but they must follow these guidelines:
- DMs Guild Logo. The DMs Guild logo (linked below) must appear on your title’s cover. This rule is effective June 1, 2018. Titles created before that date are still encouraged to have the DMs Guild logo on their cover, but are not required. The DMs Guild logo can be resized to fit your cover, but may not be altered or changed in other ways. You can find the DMs Guild logo here:
- Covers. No personal branding images (logos, trademarks, etc.) can be displayed on your product’s cover. However, you can include these images in the product’s interior.
- Personal Branding. Any personal brand, logo, or trademark used within your title must be original to the creator. These branding images cannot violate existing copyright or trademark laws, nor can they be derivations of Wizards of the Coast branding, such as the D&D logo and the Dungeons & Dragons logo.
- Best-Seller Metals. If your title earns a best-seller metal, you may display it on your cover. You can read more about earning metals in our FAQ here. You can find the metal badge artwork here.
- Charity Logos. If your title donates proceeds to a charity organization, you can include the charity's logo on your cover IF the charity gives you permission to use their artwork.
- Fantasy Grounds. Content for Fantasy Grounds may display the Fantasy Grounds logo on its cover. Content for Fantasy Grounds must have the DMs Guild logo on its cover as well. Please see this page for more details about Fantasy Grounds:
- Guild Adepts. Guild Adept members must include the Guild Adept logo on their titles' covers. Only members of this program may use this logo.
What are the rules for using DMsGuild logos to advertise my titles?
If you are creating graphics or videos to advertise your DMsGuild titles, you can use your cover image with the required DMsGuild square logo. You also can use this "Available at DMsGuild" logo: https://www.dmsguild.com/images/site_resources/DMsGuild-AvailableAt.png.
You may not use the DMsGuild site logo or square logo as standalone elements.