What kinds of artwork and maps can I use in my DMsGuild titles?
Note: The artwork (such as illustrations or maps) that you include in your title does not become part of the DMsGuild content that other DMsGuild contributors can then use.
These are types of artwork you can use in your DMsGuild titles:
- Art and Maps Provided by Wizards of the Coast. The "Resources for DMG Creators" category contains several art packs that are owned by Wizards and that can be freely used in your DMs Guild titles. The artwork can be cropped to fit your PDF but may not be altered or changed in other ways. NO OTHER ARTWORK from Wizards of the Coast titles can be used. Some of the many available art packs include:
- Public Domain Art. Art that you are certain is in the public domain can be used.
- Stock Art. Usage of stock art depends on the license associated with that stock art. Most of the stock art sold under the "Publisher Resources" category on DriveThruRPG includes a license that would allow it to be used in your DMsGuild titles.
- Commissioned Art. Usage of art that you commission from an artist depends upon your terms with the artist. You must have the rights or license to use the art in your title. The artwork does not become owned by OneBookShelf or by Wizards; you simply must have rights to use it in your commercial work.
- Creative Commons. This depends on the type of Creative Commons license. Some allow commercial use, others do not.
- Magic: The Gathering. Though you can use the MtG settings of Ravnica, Theros, and Arcavios(Strixhaven) creators CAN NOT use artwork from ANY Magic: The Gathering card/set in DMsGuild content.
Can I use Monster Manual 5E or other 5E creature tokens in my Roll20 product?
Artwork from Wizards of the Coast official D&D 5E books cannot be used in your Roll20 Connected titles, including tokens and maps.
To help with that limitation, we've created some tokens from allowed older edition art for DMsGuild creators to use in their Roll20-connected titles. You can get them by clicking HERE.
This token pack contains the DMsGuild Creator Art Packs in token form. These tokens are licensed to use in Roll20 VTT content sold via the Dungeon Masters Guild program and published under the Community Content Agreement.
The tokens are not licensed to be used for any other purpose. All art owned by Wizards of the Coast.
Additionally, Artwork from Wizards of the Coast's official D&D 5E Compendiums cannot be used in your Roll20 Connected titles, including Token and Journal entry artwork attached to the Compendium entries you add to your games.
Can I duplicate/redraw existing D&D maps from any edition?
Can I publish and sell map packs of my own unique locations?
Can I publish and sell stock art? What about stock art that uses D&D intellectual property, such as symbols or monsters (e.g. beholders)?
What are the rules for putting branding (logos, trademarks, etc.) on my DMsGuild title?
Content creators can create their own branding, but they must follow these guidelines:
- DMsGuild Logo. The DMs Guild logo (linked below) must appear on your title’s cover. Personal logos or other unapproved branding is not allowed on PDF covers or cover image thumbnails. It is the only logo allowed on non-Adventurer's League, non-Fantasy Grounds, non-Roll20 titles. This rule is effective June 1, 2018. Titles created before that date are still encouraged to have the DMs Guild logo on their cover, but are not required. The DMs Guild logo can be resized to fit your cover, but may not be altered or changed in other ways. You can find the DMsGuild logo here:
- Logos for your websites/socials. Here you will find some images that you can use to establish links to us on your own web sites. These cannot be used on your cover images on DMsGuild.
- Covers. No personal branding images (logos, trademarks, etc.) can be displayed on your product’s cover. However, you can include these images in the product’s interior.
- Personal Branding. Any personal brand, logo, or trademark used within your title must be original to the creator. These branding images cannot violate existing copyright or trademark laws, nor can they be derivations of Wizards of the Coast branding, such as the D&D logo and the Dungeons & Dragons logo. No personal branding or logos may appear on PDF covers or cover image thumbnails on DMsGuild. You may put these logos inside the PDF, in your purchase note or in your product description.
- Best-Seller Metals. If your title earns a best-seller metal, you may display it on your cover. You can read more about earning metals in our FAQ here. You can find the metal badge artwork here.
- Charity Logos. If your title donates proceeds to a charity organization, you can include the charity's logo on your cover IF the charity gives you permission to use their artwork.
- Fantasy Grounds. Titles using the Fantasy Grounds VTT Connection should display the Fantasy Grounds logo on its cover. Content for Fantasy Grounds must also have the DMs Guild logo on its cover. Please see this page for more details about Fantasy Grounds:
- Roll20 VTT. Titles using the Roll20 VTT Connection should display the Roll20 Virtual Tabletop badge. Below you will find links to a Light and Dark PNG of the badge.
- Guild Adepts. The use of this logo is discontinued at this time.
- Adventurers League Dungeoncraft. Titles created using the Adventurers League Dungeoncraft guidelines and using the Dungeoncraft filter on DMsGuild can use the AL Dragon Logo on their covers. This logo is used with permission from Wizards of the Coast and the size may be changed but cannot otherwise be altered in any way. The AL Community Logo can be found here:
What are the rules for using DMsGuild logos to advertise my titles?
If you are creating graphics or videos to advertise your DMsGuild titles, you can use your cover image with the required DMsGuild square logo. You also can use this "Available at DMsGuild" logo: https://www.dmsguild.com/images/site_resources/DMsGuild-AvailableAt.png.
As well some more logos found here:
If using the above images please include the following for DriveThruRPG.
DriveThruRPG is a registered trademark of OneBookShelf, Inc.
You may not use the DMsGuild site logo or square logo as standalone elements.