Updated September 2021
DMsGuild will consider print-on-demand (POD) submissions that follow these guidelines:
- Project must meet the minimum page requirements listed here: https://onebookshelfpublisherservice.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022104293-Quick-Specifications-for-Print-Books.
- Already-published projects must be platinum or higher best-sellers.
- Upcoming (not yet published) projects will be considered from creators who have previously published at least one gold-selling digital title. In this instance, a creator has "published" a title if their account owns the title OR if they can confirm they've contributed to a collaborative project or anthology title that meets the requirements here.
- All projects’ print files must be completed by an APPROVED LAYOUT DESIGNER (listed below). See more information on this below.
Please note that we will continue adjusting these guidelines as we analyze our new print-on-demand offerings. We recommend checking this page frequently as you prepare to submit a project. You also are responsible for ensuring your projects meet DMsGuild’s other guidelines, as with any title published on our platform.
The POD Process:
Once you are ready to submit a project, you can expect these following steps:
- Prepare. As you are preparing your files for submission, review the list of pertinent information and links about print-on-demand, including our list of approved layout designers for you to contact about your project. Find this list below.
- Submit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “POD SUBMISSION: [Title of Project]”. In addition to confirming you meet the criteria, your email should include the following:
- (a) Google Drive download link for print files,
- (b) A link to your title’s listing (PRIVATE for not-yet-published listings), AND
- (c) Your approved layout designer CCed.
- Note re: (a) and (b) above, please include BOTH links in ANY emails where you are submitting files.
- (d)Include all print options you would like for your title. Example: Softcover, Standard Color, Hardcover, Premium Color.
- Premedia. An admin will confirm when your files are uploaded. After upload, wait for your title to clear premedia with our printer. On the Edit Title page for that listing, you should see a note next to your print files that says “A1 - 1000 Content is approved for production” or “Make sure that the product is approved, and that you have ordered a proof and reviewed it”. This process typically takes 3-5 business days.
- What if the note says something else? If your title returns with errors from premedia, then contact email@example.com.
- Proof. Once your title has cleared premedia, you need to order a physical proof. View your listing, selecting the “view as creator” mode. Add the print version(s) of your title to your cart; you should see them added at cost rather than at your listed retail price. Check out as usual.
- Review & Launch. Once your book arrives, review it carefully. If all looks good, head to the Edit Title page for that listing, and hit the “Make Public” button whenever you’d like to launch.
- What happens if the proof requires changes? It is important to ensure your print files are ABSOLUTELY FINAL to the best of your knowledge. Once your printer proof arrives, if you want to make any changes, you will need to repeat steps #2 thru #4, which can delay a project by several weeks or more.
- What if I want to update my print files at a later date? Likewise, you will need to repeat all of the above steps for any and all updates (including small changes to files such as fixing a typo). Your print format will be deactivated as soon as new files are uploaded and until they complete the entire premedia/proof/review process, so keep this in mind when considering an update.
Important Information & Approved Layout Designers:
- Cover Generator: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/pub_podbook_templates.php
- Book Printing Specifications and Resources: https://onebookshelfpublisherservice.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360003726054-Book-Printing
- Common Errors: https://onebookshelfpublisherservice.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021905714-Correcting-Most-Common-Print-Errors
Approved Layout Designers:
- To join our private and public lists of approved layout designers, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/8AMMq8TN4svJxrSg6.
- Please note that approved designers must submit files consistently to specification. After 3 “strikes”, designers will be removed from approved lists.
- Approved Layout Designers:
- Phil Beckwith firstname.lastname@example.org (DMsGuild for portfolio)
- Steve Fidler email@example.com (www.vorpaldicepress.com for portfolio)
- Anne Gregersen firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Hopper email@example.com (linktr.ee/chrishopper for portfolio)
- David Markiwsky firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gordon McAlpin email@example.com (gordonmcalpin.com for portfolio)
- Sven Truckenbrodt firstname.lastname@example.org (therubyfeather.com for portfolio)
- Davide Ruini email@example.com (https://linktr.ee/davideruini for portfolio)